Why do we need another chicken blog or forum?


Many chicken forums are moderated to sell commercial feed, chemicals and ideology.
I prefer to find my own balance between nature, welfare and cost in raising happy chickens.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All fine on the western front

There I was panicking as usual... Nothing respiratory, no coccidiosis, just 12 healthy scratching eating chicks.

Today they're tucking into the sprout mix (with yeast, alfalfa and a tiny bit of seaweed meal) and this afternoon a mash of oatmeal, whole kefir and bandsaw dust (on top of available sprouts etc).

The hide in the pen has made a huge difference to their state of happiness! No cowering in the shed, no nervous panting. I wish I'd realised the goshawk was bothering them earlier... Stress alone can kill young chickens.

Never mind! All's well that ends well, and the pen is now well shielded.

No comments: