Why do we need another chicken blog or forum?


Many chicken forums are moderated to sell commercial feed, chemicals and ideology.
I prefer to find my own balance between nature, welfare and cost in raising happy chickens.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

ancona x red layer at 19 weeks

Just a quick update on the ancona x too. She's half ancona, half red layer. The others of her hatch have more red feathering on their faces and chests, but I don't mind the basic black. And she's certainly very glossy!



The willow legs are also nice. All five ancona x red layer pullets have these.

Here's a completely gratuitous head shot of one of the commercial bred ISA browns I bought at point of lay (but which have only just started). I do quite like the white streaking. She seems like a nice well behaved bird. Her beak was clipped before I got her (often birds raised away from soil or other abrasive materials get very overgrown beaks by 20 weeks).



No comments: